NR5A's Beacon Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

3 June 2010

Well it appears the Hamstick has fixed my problem, you can see the one watt beacon is doing quite well. Notice I have broke the West coast hangup !! For now I won't make any changes, except probably move the beacon to another shelf,

Thursday, May 27, 2010

28 May 2010

Big News !  Finally got the new antenna up. Its a 10m Hamstick with 2 radials. Also this morning I put the one watt beacon back on, its a much better unit. Besides the Cobra CB was causing friction between me and my wife. She has a touch lamp and the CB Beacon was driving it crazy.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 16, 2010

Worked on blog, added map. States in red is where I've been heard! Notice 2 mores states heard me today. Tomorrow I will start testing a new ant that I hope will actually should work better, it won';t be so directional. It will be a Hamstick at 12ft with 2 radials.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Fri May 14

Finally someone heard my beacon. Checked DX Summit and some station I think in Ca reported. Changes coming to the blog, and I hope a better ant sys coming soon, like soon as I have time.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another FEEBLE Attempt

Well seem to be getting no where. Tonite I put the inverted vee back on tuned thu tuner for 1 to 1` a nd took the817 out of line. In its place put the orginal Cobra 29 at full power, looks like 4-5 wts.  Now we wait and see again..

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Lets see during the 3 day Christmas Blizzard I lost my ant, yes between nasty bitter cold weather and getting terribly sick its taken this long to bget the antenna back up. Then I discovered the transmitter was not putting out but maybe 10 MW,since it was a special built system I sent it back. I got the idea us my FT-817 at 1 watt and Norcal Pico Keyer. After  getting the SWR down to useful levels it backon 24/7.  The ant is a just a 10m coax fed inverted vee 16ft up running north and south.

Monday, September 14, 2009


No reports since the 9th of Aug. I did fix the antenna, it had wrapped around the 88 foot vee. I put on plastic spacers then hot glued the ends. Still using the tuner but will be easy.