Sunday, April 5, 2009

Beacons Beacons and more Beacons

I've been interested in beacons a long time. Right now my 10m is a Yaesu FT-817 running either 5, 2.5, 1, or .5 watts. Today its on my assigned beacon freq of 28.229. The antenna is a 6BTV vert with 30 radials. Its also doing QRSS which is very very slow CW.

I just put up a fiberglass mast about 3 weeks ago it was going to support a 10m inverted vee. However our first blizzard took care of it for me. To replace it are some steel masts right now burried under 3 feet of snow from our 2nd and 3rd blizzards in 3 weeks. Believe me folks its getting really really old.

I'm having a guy convert a JTech board into a beacon for me. I just have too many irons in the fire. He will convert the board, build a beacon, mount it in a nice box then ship it back to me. The JTech boards are part of a 27mhz digital numberic pager. A guy had a bunch of them so I got a couple. That will be my future beacon, untill then I'm using and lovin my used FT-817.

Thanks to my good friend Bill Merra of Solder Smoke fame he got me interested in 30m QRSS. My first tx was a failure. I was working on another one and got sidetracked for a short bit. Need to get back to it. I build a Freakin Beacon and it works great!

More will come in the follow days can't say it all at one time cause there will be nothing left to tell

No comments:

Post a Comment